The University Women's Association (Singapore), UWAS, was inaugurated in August1996 and is the Singapore chapter of theGraduate Women International, GWI (Former International Federation of University Women, IFUW) since 1994. In 2003, UWAS was voted with approved change in status from its associate status to national status with the National Federation of Associations (NFA) with full rights and obligations. UWAS is also the 40th affiliate of the Singapore Council of Women's Organisations (SCWO), the national women's council of Singapore. The council is the main coordinating body with a total membership of approximately 94,000, drawn from all walks of life. Members range from homeworkers to businesswomen and professionals.
UWAS's mission aligns with those of its GWI (Former IFUW) affiliates. These are:
- To advocate for the improvement of the status of women and girls
- To promote lifelong education
- To enable graduate women to use their expertise to effect change
UWAS is committed to:
- women's education to influence and benefit society;
- the right of women and girls to education in order to reach their full potential;
- the recognition and protection of human rights;
- the promotion of peace, justice and equality;
- the development of international understanding, co-operation and friendship
- a global voice for women graduates in international policy-making settings
- a study and action programme with a common theme chosen by the membership;
- study grants open to members;
- international conferences, workshops and seminars;
- programmes and projects to assist women and girls;
- networks linking members from different countries with common interests.
- UWAS is financed mainly by the membership subscription fees of its members and also by the monetary contributions of people who wish to support the work of UWAS. Grants for special projects are occasionally provided by external agencies.
- Hits: 434